4.20.2009

Monday Randomness

The girls are sleeping so of course I am on the computer. I mean, it's not like I don't have a house that needs to be cleaned up, or bags to be unpacked from our trip to Atlanta. Ha!

Samuel has been having some issues lately that have us frustrated and honestly I really don't know the best way to handle what's going on.

I need to look up some stuff on the internet as I'm wondering if some of it has to do with his adoption. He has all of a sudden developed some intense fears of being alone and of us leaving him. I mean it is unrealistic hysterics if he thinks we have left him or we are out of his sight for one second. It happens in the middle of the night...it happened at the zoo...it happened when he and my dad were playing outside...it happens if we discipline him with a time out...you get the idea. I'm not sure where it's coming from or what triggered it, but it's here and if any of you have advice or wisdom then please help me out!

Abigail has shown us that she is really a sensitive baby. She is so sweet, and as we have said before is much more laid back, even shy at times, than my other two.

This past weekend, we were at several events where there were big groups of people and lots of noise. She just got so overwhelmed and would stick that sweet little bottom lip out and let it quiver, and then she just cried and whimper off and on. It was so pitiful. EK was NOT ever like that. It is so interesting to me to see Abigail's personality develop.

Ellie Kate continues to be her sassy, spunky, two year old self. We get lots of this...
and this
To be honest...disciplining her consitently has been a challenge. She doesn't listen or obey and is most definitely not a compliant child! She wants what she wants and she usually wants it right then or scenes like the above pictures will happen. All of this is why she will stay in her crib until she is 12 year old (ha!) and why I have been putting off potty training. On the flip side...she is hilarious and so much fun. Her vocabulary and language just continues to explode and she follows Samuel around doing whatever he does. She is too big for her britches that's for sure...and very strong willed.

So, what is your favorite book on child rearing? On discipline?


Okay, moving on from my kids.

I seriously love shopping at these 2 stores...




The past few months, I have been really trying to learn the system of getting things for free, or nearly free and using coupons effectivelly during grocery shopping. I shop at CVS and have their Extra Care card. The past month, I have gotten very good at barely spending anything out of pocket. I have stocked up on toothpaste, razors, shampoo, formula, diapers, baby wipes, and more using thier ECB (extra care bucks) program. Today, I had one of my best trips to Publix, spending $81 and saving $59. My goal is to get to only spending $75 (or less hopefully) a week at the grocery store. I know I can do it with careful meal planning and couponing. I used to spend $125-$150 easily every week.

What are your favorite sites that help you save money on groceries, baby stuff, etc?

(by the way, my questions are not rhetorical...I really want to know...so answer in the comment section if you can)

17 comments:

chbaker said...

Dani introduced the book, "Don't make me count to three." I am 1/2 way through it and love it. Emily, my sister'n law is getting very good at saving money too. she loves the blog. moneysavingmom.com or blog spot. let me check on that.
As far as disciplining children. We have truly found the only thing that really breaks the attitude it spanking with a spoon and then working on the heart issue involved. Best of luck- we are right there with ya!

Kellie said...

I can't help you much with shopping - Will does all our grocery shopping (he'd rather shop than keep all 3 children - since I always have the children with me if I'm not working.) Anyways, Ellie Kate sounds so much like Wilson it's scary - they will be a hoot together at Verner in a few years. Tonight Wilson sat in his booster seat at our dinner table and asked for Barney over and over and flat out refused to eat. He got a spankiing iwth a wooden spoon 5 times and STILL refused to quit asking for Barney and would not eat. There is no forcing him to do ANYTHING!!!!! Please do share any wisdom yo gleen. Ii have read James Dobson's "Strong Willed Child" book and it helps - focusing on consistency, but it's going to take more than that with Wilson - especially with the eating issues - he'll go days witout eating!!!!!

Kellie said...

I've got something for you on my blog!!!

Teresa said...

Well, truly Im glad to hear it not just my child who throws some serious fits. M really loves to scream through her hysterical crying. She has also taken to hitting us. Im pretty much at a loss for advice. Just wanted to let you know you had some solidarity. Of course I like "Shepherding a Child's heart," but there are still some disconnects I feel when it comes to 2 yr old tantrums. Im just a mom of one, so I cant imagine how its going to be with 3 someday and doing this again! Samuel's issue, I'll be praying.

Leigh Collins said...

We have been going through the same thing with MM so I don't think it has to do with adoption, I think it's just a security phase they go through. I've had many conversations with her explaining to her that we will never leave her, but to no avail. We'll just keep praying that they grow out of it and that we can give them the sense of security that they need right now. As for the coupons, I have been doing the same thing, but you are definitely doing better! My problem is this, I go through the weeks coupons and end up buying things I really don't need right now, but buy it anyway b/c it's cheap! UUGGHHH, much harder than it looks!

Leigh Collins said...

Oh, and I awarded you another award. I know you already got it, but still wanted you to know I love reading your blog!

Design A-Peele said...

e-mealz.com. It's only $5 a month and helps you plan meals for your family from specific grocery stores based on the sales that week. I think for a family of 4 or 5 you can get it down to $50 a week for meals.

The Deavours Family said...

Oh me, oh my!
1. Samuel---I have no advice on this one. I agree with a fellow commenter in that it's probably a phase unrelated to adoption. I saw MANY a kindergartner go through this when I taught and not just when they were at school (according to moms).
2. Ellie Kate---our girls are what...six weeks apart? So, on many days I'm feeling your pain. I have read the Don't Make Me Count to Three, Creative Corrections, Grace Based Parenting, Scream Free Parenting and a couple others. Unfortunately, there is NOT one quick fix. We do spank and we use a paint stirrer from Home Depot that has been spray painted purple, hence: "the purple pop." They are free and we have MANY of them all over the house, in the van, diaper bag, etc. First of all, I don't go many places with my children. I'd rather go when they're in bed or not at all. It just eliminates so much stress and frustration. Secondly, I notice MAJOR meltdowns when she's hungry and/or sleepy. Thirdly, I know you've mentioned EK having some cold/allergy issues. To me, that causes discipline/behavior issues for Annily, too and it makes sense. I don't FEEL good or ACT good when I can't breathe and my throat is scratchy. I wish I could offer more advice. I've noticed when I reach my wits end....something drastically changes and we have a fairly decent string of a week or two and I think "I've arrived!!!" (then...it's back to another 'growth spurt').

Wisdom...pray for it daily. Correction: pray for it SECONDLY...by the second!!!

One more thing....as far as Shepherding a Child's Heart (as was mentioned) I agree with her. We do have to spank while we can and work on the heart issues while we can....the heart issues may come a little later, so that does make the "2's" a bit unlclear!

We're getting there, but 2 year olds are still having a difficult time obeying AND their little hearts are still so young that it's not easy to see the fruit. My one friend said that you do eventually, so I guess we just keep it up, right? =)

Maggie Pelton said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Samuel. I don't have any tips, but will be praying for y'all and him. That must be scary for him and really hard for you to know what to do.

I just saw that you gave me the Kreativ Blogger award! Thanks! I'm working on my response.

Maria said...

Let me just say that you're such an awesome mom!! I love how you seek out advice and information to help your children. More parents need to do that.

I hope you find some methods that work for you!!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about little Samuel, will be praying for ya'll! I think the Strong Will Child is supposed to be a great book, Maci is strong willed too! I have loved learning the system with CVS and Publix! It is defintely working, but takes a lot of time! Happy Wed!!!

Dani said...

I'll be praying for Samuel. That is so sad:(
I did LOVE "Don't Make me Count to Three." I'll pray for you and you pray for me!! We need it!

Jody McComas said...

Matt and I just finished taking a class called Love and Logic. They have a book on it and it was super helpful. I bought the one for ages 1-6. I've read Don't Make Me Count to Three, Grace Based Parenting, Creative Correction and they were all good but Love and Logic has been the best one for us. Jenna is strong willed and we have seen great results already with love and logic. I highly recommend it.

I'll be praying for you. We can't wait to see you this summer!

Ashlei said...

Loved "don't make me count to 3" and Graham is reading dare to discipline but I haven't read it yet.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

For shopping the deals at Publix, this blog is great.

http://www.fiddledeedeemom.com/

natalie said...

Okay, I've got school work to do, but I couldn't help reading down to see what else you'd posted. My heart breaks for Samuel! As an adult, I can hide my insecurity, but he just has to let it out! I don't have any suggestions on that. As far as EK and her fits, the pictures creack me up, but I'm sure IRL, they are not funny at all. We DEFINITELY spank, but I'm finding with M that isolation is far more effective right now. When I isolate her from me for three minutes, it feels like an eternity to her and she SOBS and cries and begs for me to come get her. When the timer goes off and I go to her, we have the best conversations about why she had to be isolated, what she did, how she can do it right the next time. When I spank her, her response is ALWAYS, "I did not obey your 'thority'." When she's had time to think about it, she can usually pinpoint exactly what she did without any input from me at all. I see that a lot of your friends recommended "Don't make me count to three. I'm going to have to look that one up.

Susie said...

rach, as ususal i am behind, but i just wanted to say thanks for doing this post. i am wanting to know the same things for discipline and the couponing. i tried to figure some of that out with cvs and all, but might need a phone call! as far as parenting, i think ek and maddie are the same! i acutally just ordered don't make me count to three! ash recommended it and i have heard of it before. she said it has lot of practical advice as well. i am desperate. that is why i feel like life is so hard bc i have a three and two yo, who are in constant need of direction and discipline, it just wears you out. i also started reading Teach them Diligently yesterday and was pretty convicted.
praying for you and you for me!
suz