7.09.2008

Thankful


The time is here. Boxes are packed. Truck is reserved. Movers are scheduled. Tonight is our last night at this house. It is bittersweet. Our last 4 years in Athens has been amazing. It has been a place we have thrived and loved. It has been a place where we have experienced many life-changing events. As I think about the significance of what has happened in our lives as we lived here, I know it is part of the reason why I will be crying as we pull out of the driveway for the last time tomorrow. And yet, we feel much anticipation for what the Lord will do as move to Tuscaloosa and trust Him to provide in the same way there.

When we moved here over 4 years ago from a hard 2 years in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, we were in desperate need of encouragement and life-giving community. That is exactly what the Lord provided. The leadership and ministry training we received under Gary Purdy and then David Robbins have just been awesome. But more importantly we have experienced true Gospel-centered community in our staff teams. The Lord has been so sweet to provide such wonderful friends in our co-workers who have loved on us and have prayed for us during so many joys and sorrows.

It was about 3 years ago that we got more involved with our church here and God continued to provide community for us there as well. We have grown so much the last few years and it is in large part due to our church home. I am especially thankful for the friends I made and the ways that they have pointed me to Christ through all the facets of growing our family. Not to mention we just have fun together! I will miss them so so so much!!!

This is the home we brought our first 2 miracles home to. This is the home we lost our 3rd miracle. This is the home we found out about our 4th miracle. Much of the journey to our family has happened here. When I look at the picture above of my precious children, I am overwhelmed anew at the Lord's great mercy to me. Bringing them home in December of 2005 and February of 2007 were some of the biggest joys of my life!

Another great joy of living in Athens has been how close we have been to my family. They have been such a huge help to us in so many areas. Babysitting. Yardwork. Moving Furniture. This is by far the hardest part of leaving Athens...the fact that we will be moving further away from my family.

The decision to leave here was not an easy one. I have struggled with my emotions and trusting the Lord and His calling. If I had my rathers, I wouldn't be moving. However, I know that God has called us to Tuscaloosa. As believers in Christ, and especially as full-time ministers of the gospel, we are called to follow Him wherever He leads. Jeff and I are confident that He has led us to make this move no matter how hard it is. We are excited about what He is going to do in and through us as Jeff becomes the campus director at Alabama.

I am trusting that the Lord is good. That He promises good to me and my family. It is a continual life lesson for me. My friend Lyn shared this very familiar verse with me as I was struggling to trust God's plan is calling us to Bama. She encouraged me to truly claim this promise as we move. It has definitely been something I have meditated on and claimed and will continue to do so in the difficult moments that are sure to come.

Jeremiah 29:11

(The Message)
"I'll show up and take care of you as I promised... I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."

(NIV)
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

13 comments:

6 Monkeys and Me said...

enjoy your last night in that home. You made my eyes tear up with all your wonderful memories that were created there. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and the days that follow.
Andrea

Maggie Pelton said...

That made me cry. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to leave so much. Your life is rich and full in Athens, but so much of that is moving with you. The Lord is faithful to give us what we need in season. He will meet you where you are.

keLi said...

Praying for you guys as you make this transition... we enjoyed getting to hear Jeff speak about your ministry goals at church. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you ... but I also can't imagine a place where God's help is needed more than with those heathens at the University of Alabama. (Just Kidding -- Go Vols)

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on all of your journal entries :) love the motherhood one about the dr.'s appoint...i am going to "interview" my pediatrician tomorrow and have no idea what i am going to say...I am kind of on the other side of the spectrum from you in that i don't really have any medical opinions..except that i don't really believe in going to the dr. for every little thing...i guess i am going to meet her because that is what I am supposed to do..ha!

and about the last night in your house...i could cry just thinking of it. you are doing just what He would have you do...keep claiming those promises and stating the truths that He has brought you to thus far in your journey :) and remember we are always here with you lifting you up in prayer!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

What a sweet post, I was sad reading it but I know that you have exciting things ahead for your family. And what wonderful memories you take with you.

Blessing to all of you in your new adventure and chapter in your lives!

Lainey Bug and John Stanley III said...

I am going to COMPLETELY miss you! :( However, it is a blessing to see you follow the Lord.

The Brannens said...

I don't know what we are going to do without the sweet Norris family. You are guys are going to be missed so much! We love you so much! Tuscaloosa is so lucky to have you and we will continue to pray for your ministry there.

Kim said...

Good Luck with the move. I bet it is hard to leave behind a house with such great memories! Cannot wait to see the new place!

Leigh Collins said...

Rachel - I can only imagine all the emotions you are feeling right now, but I want you to know that you should feel comfort in that God's plan is bringing you back to Tuscaloosa - a home away from home, so to speak! And I assure you that you will find a great "home" here and life as you did in Athens. I will be here for you and Jeff and your babies in whatever you need! We welcome your family with open arms!

Rick and Lynn S. said...

The hymns are right. Peace is like a river - moving, turning, plunging forward, carrying us downstream. It's not a static resting place, but an attitude of heart and mind that enables us to relax and let the current bear us up. Sometimes we don't want to go with the flow. We get comfortable where we are. We'd prefer to dig our heels into the riverbed and refuse to budge. But if we're to live in peace, we need to accept the movement of the stream. The only peace we'll ever find that does not involve change is the final "rest in peace" on our tombstone.

The good news is, God knows where the river's going. The Lord's control, not our own, enables us to accept what we can't see and be at peace with what we don't know.

--Penelope J. Stokes, "Beside A Quiet Stream" (Nashville: J. Countryman, a division of Thomas Nelson, Inc.), 199

WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Prayers for you,

L-

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

Rachel, I was just catching up on the last week or so...you are a busy family! I can only imagine how hard it is to be leaving family and such (what sounds like) a great church family. I know God will bless you again in a new place and although you will miss Athens, you will have something else that will fill you up! I wish you (and Jeff) the very best back in T-town. What an amazing opportunity!

I think I may have forgotten to mention that you can contact me at krosson_proverbs3130@yahoo.com should you ever be in or near Huntsville. Also, if you'd like an invite to our blog, let me know!

The Reeds said...

Rachel,
I hope the move went smoothly. I can't imagine how hard it was to leave somewhere you have so many memories. I pray everything goes well for yall in Tuscaloosa. I must admit I'm a little jealous that you get to live in Tuscaloosa again:)

Deb said...

I'll be praying for ya'll. I can only imagine what a bitter sweet the move is going to be for ya'll. I'll be praying for a smooth transition, and a peaceful heart. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do. I'm only an hour away- I can be there whenever! Love you!