10.06.2010

More On Life

Hello friends. I have not been taking many pictures lately. GASP. I know, it's so unlike me! You know what, I also have barely STARTED planning Samuel and Abigail's birthday parties. One is in 3 weeks and the other in less than 5 weeks. Again, so unlike me!

So, what has been taking up my time? I honestly don't even know! I think getting this diet and therapy for Samuel figured out, fall tv beginning:), and football weekends have kept me feeling very behind. However, I don't feel frazzled or anything so that's good! And it's kind of nice to not be planning big birthday shindigs. I'm keeping it simple this year!

I did get my hair cut and HIGHLIGHTED this week. Yes, you read that right. I was pretty much over being brown. Well, actually I wasn't even brown anymore. The brown had faded and my natural color is really ugly (it's an ashy blond) and then to make matters worse, I had highlights that were half grown out. It really was not pretty and it was BORING. So if I could have a pretty brown all the time, then I would be all for it...but the whole point of me going brown was to not have so much upkeep. If I have to keep up brown, then I'm not gonna do it. I like blond so much better:)!!! So, here I am...back to a darker blond!


By the way, Samuel took this picture. He is really good actually:)!

Speaking of Samuel. Y'all just would not believe the changes in my boy. It's unbelievable really. He is calmer than ever before. His school work is better than ever before. He is sleeping better than ever before. He is more obedient than ever before. I could cry just thinking about it. Of course, he is still Samuel, but a much improved well rounded Samuel!!! I am so so so thankful. We have stuck with a dairy free/gluten free diet (as well as avoided processed, preservative filled, dye filled foods) for about a month now. We have also been doing some occupational type therapy in the mornings, afternoon, and night. We are supplementing with probiotics, omega 3, regular vitamins, and melatonin (for sleep). As a bonus, Abigail's skin/eczema has cleared up and Ellie Kate has been much more pleasant lately too. They are not exclusively off gluten but are both almost off all dairy, doing the supplements (minus melatonin) and also do a lot of the exercises with Samuel. It's been so cool to see the changes in our family!!!

Going gluten and dairy free is not easy. It's expensive and it's hard to find convenience foods. I have to send special snacks to school and he has to say no to snacks at church. But it has definitely been worth it for us. We now drink almond milk and eat coconut or goat milk yogurt. We eat LOTS of avocado, fruits, and veggies. We eat corn chips, eggs, bacon, organic potato chips, rice crackers, air popped popcorn (vs. microwave), archer farms (target brand) fruit chews and bars, peanut butter on celery or apples. For dinners, we eat things like spaghetti (with brown rice noodles and ground turkey and organic sauce), grilled chicken, potatoes, rice, veggies, salads or soup. There are some gluten free breads and mixes that I have tried (these are the things that are expensive) and also gluten free cereal we eat in the mornings.

So, maybe in my next post, I'll update with pictures:)! Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement regarding Samuel. Once again, God has truly worked and continues to amaze us as He provides for us!

9 comments:

Rachel @ daily dunmore said...

There is some yummy gluten free chicken salad and crackers @ Sam's

Tabatha said...

I'm a lurker but I would love to know more detail about the gluten free stuff and what you do when you go out to eat. Would love to see a post about that:)

Maggie Pelton said...

Rach, I'm so excited that seems are going so well for y'all with the new diet. I keep hearing such good things from so many people about switching to gluten/dairy free.

You "sound" like a huge weight has been lifted off of your shoulders.

Smart mama for checking into all this and doing what's hard but best for your family.

Love you girl!

Tamar SB said...

Rachel - I am so thrilled to hear that the gluten-free/dairy free is going well and seems to be working! I have been thinking of you all and praying for a smooth transition! I know it can be a tricky one!!

Your hair and color looks great too!

Tamar

Annie said...

Your new color is great.

So happy is a smooth transition for Samuel.

Kellie said...

So excited to hear all that - being what I "do" for a living, I'd love to hear more! Glad it's working for you!!!! Love seeing Samuel at school - emma claire is very fond of him! See ya'll soon!

Leigh Collins said...

I'm so glad to hear that Samuel is doing so well - I pray for his continued improvements! I can't believe I haven't run into you at the school yet! Oh, and don't feel bad in not planning birthdays - MM's birthday is this Sunday and I just planned her party yesterday! Now, that's bad! I am normally much better about it too, but just haven't had the energy to think about it these days! We are keeping it simple as well which is soooo nice for a change!

natalie said...

Praise God for such a good report for Samuel! I love that it's helping the girls, too. I also think it's awesome that the girls are "involved" in the therapy part so it's not something Samuel has to do on his own. It probably seems more like play or more fun when his sisters do it, too!

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

praise GOD for answered prayers! I am so very happy to hear that samuel is doing so much better and the girls are as well as a bonus! i understand how hard the diet thing can be in a way since i'm severely allergic to dairy. fortunately it hasn't affected emily the same way, but i can tell the difference if she gets too much yogurt or cheese (we still do soy milk since she won't drink the regular stuff after not being able to have it for so long). it's amazing what little changes can make! love you hair too! i'll continue to pray for even more improvements!