8.17.2009

Poor In Spirit

We recently started a sermon series at church on The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-11). Yesterday we studied what it meant when Jesus said "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Basically being poor in spirit is the opposite of self-sufficiency. It's recognizing that we are spiritual beggars in need of God's grace every single moment of every single day. Being poor in spirit speaks of a deep humility and recognizing one's utter spiritual bankruptcy apart from God. We carried on our study of the passage in our community group last night. Near the end of our group, the leader asked what things in life make us realize the most that we are poor in spirit...immediately I thought (and eventually said)...PARENTING! Nothing else in my life right now makes me realize my utter spiritual bankruptcy apart from God's redeeming grace in my life. It's humbling because I cannot parent my 3 wild and crazy kids without the Spirit in my life...and yet most every day (if I'm brutally honest) I really do try to do it in my own power...and then I blow it time and time again. I like to be self sufficient and act like I have it all together...but inside the walls of my house I don't have it together for one tiny second.

Take this week for example. Classes begin at UA so that means Jeff is super busy (translate...from last night until Thursday I'm pretty much on my own). I did my normal routine today which usually consists of:

-6:45am EK is the first to wake up
-make breakfast
-feed kids
-get samuel to school (jeff actually took him this am)
-clean up kitchen
-play with the girls
-take EK to potty (6 times to be exact...she was trying to poop)
-change Abigail's diaper and put her down for a nap
-try to figure out EK's 132nd meltdown of the morning
-wipe EK's runny nose and worry that she has already picked up her first illness one week into her preschool
-play with EK, check email for a minute
-get Abigail up
-take EK to potty (2 more times and we finally have success!!!)
-straighten up some in the kids rooms and let Abigail crawl after me whining for a few minutes until i realize it's 11:15 and she's hungry
-give Abigail her bottle
-make kids lunch
-feed kids lunch
-eat my own lunch while they watch pbs kids
-clean up kitchen
-put Abigail down for nap and hope EK doesn't destroy anything in Samuel's room or come in Abigails room and disrupt us
-put EK down for a nap (which means getting everything just right and having to go back into the room at least 2-3 times to redo my exit according to her 2 year old OCD demands)
-work on a blog makeover, check emails, read blogs
-wake girls up from nap so we can go pick Samuel up from school
-get home and play inside since it's raining today
-change more diapers, take EK to potty
-medaite between EK and Samuel's many disagreements
- serve snacks, feed Abigail her bottle
-listen to Abigail crawl around and whine for no apparent reason
- watch Imagination Movers (I sneak into facebook and a few blogs)
-mediate some more between EK and Samuel
-start dinner and get kids to help
-eat dinner
-give girls baths while Samuel organizes my tupperware cabinet
-clean up bathroom since there is now water everywhere from EK
-give Abigail bottle and hope EK and Samuel don't kill each other while they are downstairs alone (it sounds like this might be the case several times, but they end up okay)
-put Abigail to bed and come downstairs to see why there was so much screaming and throwing of the toys
-Abigail is currently screaming bloody murder
-Set kids up at table so Samuel can do his worksheet he didn't finish at school, while EK colors
-Go back up to tend to Abigail's wailing, rock her for awhile and put her down again
-Abigail is still screaming bloody murder
-Help Samuel finish his homework
-Try to get kids to play with some toys in family room
-Try to ignore Abigail still screaming bloody murder and Samuel telling me "Just go get her...she wants her mama" and EK telling me in a super whiny voice "Agail's crying. Agails crying. Maaamaaa...Aigail's crying"
-Send Samuel up to his room to get ready for bed
-Give EK some zyrtec hoping it will make her nose stop running so that I'm not up with her all night since she's probably getting sick
-Try to take her to potty and then start the trek upstairs all the while she is saying "Ellie Tate not go night night."
-Abigail is still screaming
-Read to EK, sing, and try to get her situated in bed. Have to redo my exit 3 times until it is to her satisfaction (she has a very specific way she likes for us to blow each other kisses as I leave her)
-Finally hear quiet coming from Abigail's room
-Go into Samuel and he wants to read from his new Bible that he got at Church yesterday so we do that and my heart is softened to see his fresh love for God and His word.
-put Samuel to bed and then go downstairs and collapse on the sofa ( I briefly thought about a glass of wine, but decided to use my weight watcher points on a bowl of cereal instead).

Yes, there is a point to my long list (and kudos to you if you actually read it all). While it certainly wasn't one of the worst days ever, it was a long day by myself with the kids. I did not handle the day with much graceful and patient mothering. I raised my voice. I did not point my kids to Christ. I did not depend on Christ myself. Days like today are like huge blaring megaphones in my ear...reminding me of my utter spiritual bankruptcy. I am a beggar in need of more grace. At the end of the day, I am humbled and in need of a Savior. I am so thankful that I do have Jesus and that he promised...

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3





Photobucket

9 comments:

Jana said...

Thanks for the reality check. It is good to know I am not the only one that has crazy days. But that I need to lean on God and not try to do it all by myself. Good luck this week!

Kimmie said...

and i thought my days were crazy with one! :) your play-by-play made me laugh. oh, and thanks for the encouragment with isaac and the nursery incident. its always good to know you aren't the only one.:)

Kellie said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain! Just this morning I yelled at Wilson at 5:30 am when he came back upstairs AFTER i turned on Scooby Doo asking me to change it to Diego!! He's only 2 - I need to remember that, but all I wanted was a little more sleep - not very poor in spirit huh? I should have been down there spending some rare quality time with him. We've all been there, are there every day and can only lean on God for strength and guidance!

heather ryan morse said...

Rachel! Thanks for the warning about what it is like with three kids! :)ha ha! I can now say that someone warned me :)

Although one is not nearly the juggling act that three is, I STILL try to do it on my own strength. I want to point to Christ and rely on Him..but I don't, I fail.

Thanks for reminding me. :)

Maggie Pelton said...

Great post Rach.

Haley said...

diddo jules rach. Good post.

Mary Laughlin said...

Hi Rachel- I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now via Julia P's- one of my dear friends. Crazy enough, I saw another dear friend on one of your posts (Meg Robbins- we grew up together). I know we have a few other connections, too, through the Crusade world, but just wanted you to know that I "connected" with your post...and I appreciate you sharing the reality of your day...it's easy to share the good stuff, not always as easy to share the harder days- thanks for being vulnerable and for the encouragement. P.S. Sometimes I have brought up your blog just to listen to the music while I am in the kitchen! love it!
- Mary Faith

Rick and Lynn S. said...

I know you might not want to hear this, but:
"You're gonna miss this . . ."

Love Being A Nonny said...

His mercies are new every morning....aren't we glad?! Whew, this made me tired!!