I figured I would take a break from baby talk and update on our sweet Samuel since I posted about his struggles awhile back.
We were referred to a wonderful Christian psychologist in Birmingham and he has been great! We have had 3 sessions with him and gotten some good answers and ways to move forward. This is such an answer to prayer and I am so glad we went ahead with this. The first thing we are going to do is move forward with medication for his ADHD. We are hoping and praying that we can find the right one the first time around and that it doesn't have too many side effects! I'm definitely very nervous about this step but hopeful that it will really help Samuel focus and be able to follow directions.
Also, the testing did show that Samuel has some real struggles with auditory and verbal processing (which is why he is slower to learn because almost everything at school is done verbally with the teacher in front off classroom talking and he doesn't hear or process half of what she says). The psychologist has written a letter for us to take to the school in hopes that we can move forward with getting Samuel an IEP (Individual Education Plan). This is something he desperately needs and has needed for awhile now. Even after repeating first grade, Samuel is still performing at below grade level on most things now in Second grade. Please be praying that his school will cooperate and be willing to do what we ask (it is the law:)!
Overall, we are hopeful that these next steps will get us and get Samuel where he needs to be so that he can succeed at school and at home!

4 comments:
As a former teacher, it is so great to hear this update! Before teaching I had no idea about ADHD meds, but after being in the classroom six years I believe it makes a huge difference for so many students! I hope you find the right one quickly, and like you said without having many side effects to worry about.
The IEP will be another great step. Sounds like y'all are really trying to do what is best for him {of course} and teachers truly appreciate parents like you who are involved and want to get him what he needs to be successful in the classroom.
Haven't commented in a while {total blog stalker} so I also must say congrats on sweet Anna Mitchell! She is beautiful!
Rachel, so sorry you are walking thisroadbuttouare clearly Samuel's best advocate! As a special Ed teacher and someone who has overcome severe learning disabilities please do not hesitate to email me with questions! I have a auditory processing deficit and would be happy to recommend resources and ideas that helped me succeed!
So happy to hear this. I have been praying for him and y'all. Also, Anna Mitchell is beautiful. Praying for y'all with her reflux and all too.
Hi Rachel,
I have been following you blog for some time. I have a child with the some special needs as Samuel. She is now 25. I have also been an educator for over 20 years...so here is my best mom advice. When you write your IEP ask for everything and I mean everything. It is easier ti have it in place even if you do use it than is it to gather the team and change an IEP.You may not need everything but better safe than sorry.Ask for extending test taking time, that test be can be read to him, testing done if a different room. What the system doesn't tell you is that this is a necessary step to get extended time in high school for his SAT and ACT.He can also get help all the way through college...I know you just want to get him through the year but you have to plan ahead. No one told me that. B/c of his issue he qualifies for the American with Disabilities Act.
Ask for hearing test as well. A daily notebook about what is going in in the class the teacher will write in at the end of day and you will sign off on every night it can also be used to communicate things that happen in the home in the morning just to give the teacher a heads up.
My child was very angry and I will say it was scary at times. She did well at school but fell apart at home. She was depressed a co- existing condition which is usually the case with these children. Check into co-existing conditions. I hope this helps let me know if you have any questions...I am here to help...my email is melanie1023@gmail.com
PS One of my daughters just graduated from Bama and is teaching in your area!
Post a Comment