I've always been pretty honest on this blog for myself in the future (as I look back) and for the hundreds of hits this blog gets each day. I don't ever want this space to make our life look anywhere near perfect. It's also just good for me to be vulnerable. So I am. I'm sure it makes some people uncomfortable, but I've learned that being open and honest is a good thing. I don't do it for sympathy or to be dramatic. I just want to portray real life as we raise our family (the good, the bad, and the ugly).
One of the main things I have been open about is our journey with Samuel. He is such a joy to us and we truly are so so so grateful that he is ours. But, oh the struggles. They seem to be surmounting and escalating to a point where Jeff and I are most days at a loss as to what to do. I am especially bad at taking action because I want so desperately to believe that our sweet boy is okay and that we will not have to struggle anymore. But that just doesn't seem to be the case. For so many reasons known (3 years in an eastern european orphanage, a major heart defect, malnutrition, poor attachment, etc) and for so many reasons unknown (biological factors with birth family)...Samuel's brain just does not function normally. The main factor seems to be ADHD and with that comes a host of secondary issues that can make life miserable for him and for us. Each day it seems his ability to focus and follow directions gets worse. Anxiety levels have increased and are at a point where it is beginning to affect how he is at school. Compulsive lying is at an all time high. Some depression is even rearing it's ugly head. It's hard not to let my mind wander to the what if's of his future and wonder how our family will function and survive if he has severe psychological issues. It's hard not to get angry at Samuel when so much of what he does he cannot even explain or control. It's easy to get down and feel guilty. It's easy to feel stuck and not know what to do. Adoption is a beautiful thing and it is something that the Bible is clear about asking Christ followers to do. Yet, it can sometimes be very difficult. The last 6 years with Samuel have been a journey of such joy and at the same time there has been so much grief. God has taught us so much about Himself and his gospel through adoption and we are so thankful for that window into His heart and into our own hearts as we raise such a special child.
We are pursuing counseling, psychological testing and maybe even medication in the near future for Samuel. It breaks my heart to realize that his issues are not going to just go away and are in fact getting worse. It breaks my heart to realize that he may struggle with academic, behavior and psychological issues for the rest of his life. Yet, what gives me hope is believing the gospel over and over again. I can't forget it. I need Jesus. Samuel needs Jesus. He is the One who gives us the strength and the perseverance to love and parent Samuel when all I want to do is pitch a fit and scream right back at him to just be normal (when he honestly can't).
David Platt, one of our favorite pastors and authors, is on his second adoption journey right now to China. He wrote a blog post the other day that the Lord really used. Click HERE to read it and be blessed. And if you think about it, pray for us and pray for our Samuel.
10 comments:
Thank you for your honesty Rachel. Praying for all of you.
Rachel. First, I am catching up on your blog and I love your thanksgiving pictures and the adorable COLOR party for Abigail.... seriously?!! You are like my hero. About Samuel- praying, praying, praying... I cant even begin to imagine bringing a child into our home who spent 3 years in that kind of environment. Mackenzie is not even 3 so it really rips my heart in half to picture her life up until now like that.... wow. You guys are strong, consistent, and more importantly God picked you and Jeff out of everyone in the universe to raise Samuel. I know He will equip you and I know Samuels future is prosperous and successful, and full of hope. Because that is what Jesus promises. I'm praying for you guys and I'm praying against attacks from the enemies and any lies he would try and make you believe. Yall are AWESOME. Praying that this season will pass quickly for Samuel and Jesus would just pour himself into him. You truly did rescue him, just as Christ has rescued us. Love that article.
We love you guys and will be praying for wisdom, patience and sweet Samuel.
I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. I appreciate your 'rawness'; it just proves that no one's life is perfect! I was just wondering if you guys had ever heard of 'sensory therapy'? A friend of mine from church's son has had a lot of the same symptoms that you have listed for Samuel. They just got back from Birmingham this past weekend from an intensive 1.5 week workshop and he will do follow-up therapy here at home. Just reading your entry tonight made me think about it and wonder if it might be something that could work for Samuel. I know whatever happens, God has a mighty plan for his life. Here is a link to the center: http://www.sensorylearning.com/
Praying for you & your family, Rachel! God is using you in BIG ways...in Samuel's life and the lives of others. Cling to that truth!! Praying for wisdom for you!
Hi Rachel,
I have been reading your blog for some time, started through a mutual "friend" who has a blog that you had followed-she had struggled with infertility too. Anyway, my son struggles with anxiety and depression and frequently acts out. I have been where you are-worrying about the future and what it holds for him. I feel your pain, although we do not have the health issues or adoption/orphanage issues that Samuel struggles with. We did decide to do medication and counseling for him and it has helped, but I am also trying to modify his diet. I will be taking him to a naturopath in the next month or so to see if something dietary can change his behavior. I am from MN, so we couldn't have the same practicioners, but I have a friend who struggled with ADHD with her son and she went to see this guy and he is SO much better with just diet modification. Maybe you have already looked into that, but I thought I would share that with you. I feel your pain. I want so much for my son to be happy and healthy and for our family not to struggle. I appreciate your struggles too. I appreciate your rawness. Know that there are others out there to commiserate with. Take care of yourself and those babies-especially that new little life.
Thanks for being honest Rachel. I know that must be so hard and exhausting. I'll be praying for you and Jeff as you seek to raise this little one for the Lord. Love you all!
So sorry to hear that things are difficult right now--I'll keep you in my thoughts!
Loved hearing your heart. I can't imagine how you are feeling, but now I know how to pray! xoxo, Kitty (and Joel)
Oh rach, I'm so sorry Samuel seems to be getting worse. I will be praying for y'all as you move fwd trying to find answers and help. Love you friend!!!
Post a Comment