5.07.2011

Some Updates

TORNADO...
I continue to stand amazed at our community and our state.  I have never been more proud to call Tuscaloosa and Alabama home...and that's saying a lot for this Georgia born girl!  God is truly bringing beauty from the ashes.  We have kept busy with relief efforts this week.  Our church's preschool program decided to open it's doors to some of the tornado victims children from 8am - 4pm.  Some days, we had as many as 30 kids take advantage of it!  We had volunteers bring snacks, diapers, lunches, drinks, clothes, toys, nap mats, and more.  We also had volunteers each day picking up and returning kids to shelters or devastated areas as well as just staying to help watch kids during the day at the church.  I wasn't up there all day every day, but I have been up there a lot and it has been so fun to love on these kids.  Thursday, I was overcome with emotion as I was returning 4 kids (5 and under) to the shelter where they were staying with their single mom.  The oldest 3 were crying because they didn't want to go back and I started crying because I just can't imagine the stress that they and their momma have been through.  I just was reminded anew...what do I seriously have to complain about?  I prayed through my tears and just gave those kids and their mom a big hug as I dropped them off.  By the end of the week, I was thoroughly emotionally worn out...and at the same time just so grateful for God continuing to use us and work miracles again and again in this disaster ravaged town. 

POTTY TRAINING...
Abigail had a rough 3-4 days of potty training when we first started.  I almost gave up...but thankfully I stuck with it and the day of the tornado it just sort of finally stuck.  Thank goodness...because the days since then have been so stressful and I am glad I didn't have to worry about her having accidents all the time. She has done great and is even mostly potty trained at night.  I still put her in a pull up but am thinking I won't have to for much longer.  She has been dry most every morning since we started this.  WOOHOO!  I guess this means I am officially out of the baby stage of parenting. 

SCHOOL...
I think we have finally decided to send Samuel to 2nd grade at his current school.  We feel like, at this point, that is the wisest decision so that we can truly get a feel for where he is academically, socially, emotionally, etc since this year was a year of retention.  I am fairly confident that after next year, I will homeschool him and I will use a lot of next year to look into curriculum's and also decide if I will homeschool the girls at the same time.


TODAY...
has been a nice quiet normal day and I almost feel guilty for it...but it was much needed.  We cleaned house (desperately needed it after over a week of neglect), played outside, and just enjoyed a relaxing beautiful day that the Lord gave us!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Rachel, You are doing God's work and needed a break...don't feel guilty for it. Care for the caregiver is so important. All of those you have been helping are so appreciative and would repay you if they needed to and could. Piece by piece and person by person, Tuscaloosa will be put back together, most likely just in time for their beloved football season!

Annie said...

Congrats to Abigail!!

Happy Mother's Day.