6.27.2012

Cloth Diapers

I've had several people ask me if I'm doing the cloth diapers and if so, how it's going.  So I figured I would just do a post!

Actually, I LOVE cloth diapering.  I really wish our life wasn't so crazy and I could do it 100% of the time.  Maybe if I were more committed I would do it 100% of the time, but I don't.  So there you have it.  When we get back home from Miami, I am going to do it about 90% of the time because I will have my monstrous high efficiency washing machine once again:).  I also think if Anna Mitchell was my first baby, I would do it 100% of the time.  There is just something really nice and easy about throwing on a pampers swaddler when I need too:).

So all that to say, I'll just share a few things about what I do and why I love it.   I don't pretend to be an expert, but just thought I would share a little.   I have 3 kinds of cloth diapers.


I first bought about 8 Fuzzi Bunz diapers off Zulilly when they had a great sale.  Then I decided I wanted a few of the velcro Bum Genius kind, so I got a few of those too.  Then I bought some Sun Baby kind from a person in Tuscaloosa (they were gently used). I have to say that my favorites are the Bum Genius and the Sun Baby.  The Fuzzi Bunz aren't bad but just not my favorite.  They work well though.


Right now I use about 6-8 diapers a day so I wash them every other day when I'm consistent.  Two things that are very necessary with cloth diapering are a wet bag and disposable liners for when the baby starts solid foods or switches to formula (which we have done both by now).  The liner is great because it keeps the solid waste from getting on the cloth diaper.  Some still gets on it but the liner really helps.  The wet bag is where I throw the wet and soiled diapers.  Then when I'm ready to wash I take it down to my laundry room and throw it all in the washing machine (bag and all).  I use charlie's soap detergent and it works great.  I have not had any problems yet with stains or odors.  Woohoo! 





Isn't she cute????


I love that these are natural and don't expose her to lots of chemicals and chlorine.  They really do seem to help prevent diaper rash too.  As soon as I put AM in disposables for 2-3 consecutive diapers, she will have a little red bum.  I love that I don't have to buy disposables that often.  I really wish I had done cloth diapers with all my babies!





Like I said before though, as much as I really do like cloth diapering, sometimes there is just nothing better or easier than throwing on a thin soft pampers swaddlers:).  Just keepin in real folks...


4 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

My DIL cloth diapers our twins. I love how adorable they look in them!

Kitty Brown said...

Good for you. Cloth diapering was one of those things that sounded like a good idea but didn't mesh with my reality, ha! She definitely looks cute in them :)

BabiesandBargains said...

We plan on cloth diapering our 4th due in the fall. I am excited and scared but I know that sposies just arent in our budget anymore esp after #3 and his chemical burns from diapers :( It will be my first and only cloth diapered baby but we shall see how it goes.

Kendall said...

We love bumGenius diapers! We also use Charlie's Soap. :)