8.18.2011

Random Bullet Points

  • This week, I won a fabulous giveaway from Mel at The Larson Lingo.   I am SOOOOO excited! I never win anything...probably because I actually rarely enter givaways, but I did this time and I actually won something that is really cool.  I won a 12 x 12 cafe print from Red Letter Words.  I still haven't decided which one I'm going to get...there are of course so many I like! 

This is an example of one of the prints I like as it's one of my favorite verses...

  • Samuel has several vines of pumpkins growing in our woods!  We came back from Colorado and had these huge vines growing.  He has been so excited.  There are a lot of blooms on them, so we are all anxious to see if we will actually grow any pumpkins.  You may be wondering how we have pumpkins growing in our woods.  We wondered the same thing and then realized that last fall sometime in November, Samuel took all our pumpkins that were old and rotting and just beat them to pieces in the woods and then scattered all the insides/seeds.  So, apparently some of those seeds got far enough into the dirt to take root!  It's crazy! 
  •  Ellie Kate is going to start ballet in a few weeks.  To say she is excited would be a huge understatement!  Her shoes and leotards came in the mail today and she of course had to immediately put them on and practice...

  •  Abigail has become obsessed with wearing t-shirts.  I have no idea where this came from since we really don't have that many t-shirts her size, but it's all she wants to wear.  It's really funny and sort of maddening at the same time! 
  • Thanks for all the comments about my laundry room.  I am really enjoying it and am going to look into some of the suggestions some of y'all made! 
  • We find out the sex of this baby in less than 2 weeks hopefully!!! I'm so curious and excited and hoping it will make me connect a bit more to it's sweet self.  I'm always nervous too leading up to these ultrasounds about finding something wrong so I'm just trusting the Lord and His plan and praying for my mind to not be worried or anxious. 
  • Which brings me to this final bullet point.  I really want to do cloth diapers for this baby.  Jeff and my mom think I'm crazy, but I REALLY want to do it.  I am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices out there, so if any of my awesome readers have any suggestions, I will welcome them!  The main reasons I want to do them are they are eco friendly, safer and better for babies skin, and cheaper in the long run than disposables.  I have really sensitive skin and Abigail got horrible diaper rash from any diaper besides Seventh Generation or Huggies Pure and Natural as well as any wipes besides a sensitive no fragrance wipe.  SO, I also sort of want to make my own wipes, but that may be getting way ahead of my capacity with this being the 4th child!

8 comments:

Maggie Pelton said...

My comments on the cloth diapers...I loved them...for a time. I stopped because it became too overwhelming when Ada was born, but when I just had one in diapers, like you will, it was great. More laundry but great. I would highly recommend getting the liners so cleaning the dirty ones isn't so hard. I never got them and always regretted it. Not sure why I didnt just order them...stupid. I had all sorts of them bum genius all in ones, and the cheaper ones where you use the prefolds. I really liked all of them. The way expensive ones seemed a bit more absorbent but I really didnt mind any of them.

Maggie Pelton said...

The liners are little like slips of paper kind of. You lay them inside whatever kind of diaper/insert you choose. Then when you change them, you can lift this out and your diapers arent nearly as dirty and dont stain as easily. All the cloth diaper websites sell them.

lsnellings said...

I have been using cloth diapers for over three years and I LOVE them! And honestly my favorites are the old fashioned prefolds with covers. I used those with John until he was about 18 months and then he started peeing so heavily that they were just too wet against his skin and caused a rash. (Although I have since learned that if you put a fleece liner over them, this takes care of the wet bottom.) Now we use pocket diapers pretty exclusively and my faves are bumgenius and happy heinys. I have tried pretty much everything and cd'ed every stage from newborn to the three year old that refused to potty train so if you have any questions feel free to email me! It can be really overwhelming but there is tons of good info on the web!

Amber said...

will be praying for your upcoming ultrasound and a healthy baby! Very exciting! For me.....in the weeks leading up to the ultrasound.....it was a great time to put "calm my anxious heart" tips to practice daily! Can't wait to hear!

Jody McComas said...

Can't wait to hear what you're having soon!! I LOVE the Bum Genius 4.0 diapers. They are super easy to use and I highly recommend them. I tried about three other kinds and these are great. I also use the liners. They are cheap and make it even easier. Let me know if you have other questions.

Anne Marie said...

Just started Maddox on cloth. Love Flips (I think they are somewhat newer...) the inserts are thick and dont get soaked all the way through to where you end up having to wash the diaper every time. But if the do get wet, they are the easiest in my opinion to wash. I also have bum genius. They are good to and may even fit better but I feel like you end up having to wash the insert AND the diaper most every time.... Where as with Flips the diapers need less washing. Anyways, I'm new to this so I probably don't have the best input...

Jenny said...

Rachel - you just left a comment on my blog! I do live in Tuscaloosa and my husband is also a campus minister! I think you should email me :). jennydixon921@gmail.com.

natalie said...

I LOVE cloth diapering. It's really not difficult at all. I like the diapers with the snaps better than the velcro. it took Luke FOREVER to get big enough for the diapers I have, though, so I didn't do it early on. I HATE laundry...but the diapers don't really cause that much more work.