"Maybe the one big question to be asking myself on Ash Wednesday is: Give up something or don’t — the point is: How am I giving more of myself to Jesus? You can’t rely on the stuff and the dreams and the beauty to sustain you — none of that will ever sustain you. Jesus is not merely useful to me, He is ultimately beautiful to me — His is the only Beauty Who can sustain me. Give even a cold glass of water in His name and you give to Him and I want to give up and give to Him, I want to give myself more fully to Him. And it begins with the giving, it begins with 40 days of less, so there is more to give, which gets the joy of more Him. #40LessMeMoreHim" ~Ann Voskamp
![]() |
| image from here |
So practically, what does that look like for me? That's what I've been thinking and praying on today. I've felt some things before today being stirred up. Things I need to give up. Things that have become slight addictions and I make excuses for them. Checking facebook from my phone. Buying and selling on facebook garage sale sites. Things that distract me from being consumed by something better. Jesus is so much better than those things. My family is so much better than those things. Real, true rest is so much better than those things. I long to be a woman who makes the most of every opportunity and I can't do that with my nose stuck in my phone half the day on facebook and I can't do that spending money I don't need to on things my family doesn't really need at this point. And I can't do that when I'm being my busy self who is consumed with productivity.
The last few months, the Lord has really ignited a flame in my heart for Him. A flickering flame that desires to know Him more and abide in him. Truly abide and take regular sabbath rest so that I can be and do all that He has called me to. By His grace, I have been way more intentional about resting and focusing on slowing down. Focusing on His word and trusting Him to be better than all the world is throwing at me. Focusing a little less on productivity (although I still love getting things done:)). I feel tension so often that He has given me so much and what will I do with it?
So these next 40ish days of this Lent season...of this season leading up to celebrating the most holy of days...I'm going to focus on less of me and more of Him. Truly, though that is my hearts cry for not just this season...but for the rest of my days. That I would see and believe He is better than anything or anyone or any comfort I have. He is worthy of all that I am. It's a little scary, but in surrender there is deep joy. In giving up ourselves, we gain more of Him. So thankful for that truth and for the grace bestowed on me each day because of my Jesus.


1 comment:
"...in surrender there is deep joy." I love that. Going to repeat that to myself. Thanks for sharing your heart.
Post a Comment