11.26.2010

A Different Kind of Giving

I read THIS blog every once in awhile.  I am always challenged when I read Ann's words.  She is the one who sort of challenged me to be more conscious of my everyday blessings and write down all the little things I'm thankful for this month.  I want to continue to do it not just this month of November that is nearly over now.  Anyway, a recent post of hers (HERE) talked about a different kind of giving at Christmas.  It really challenged me.  Our family has already put a shoebox together for Samaritans Purse.  Samuel had fun picking out little toys, socks, toothbrushes, candy, etc. for the little boy who would receive it.  Jeff & I have already also been talking about sponsoring a Compassion International child this year for Christmas too.  After reading Ann's post though, I'm even more excited about "shopping" through some of the links she posted and giving gifts to those in need around the world.  For that is what Christmas is all about.  And as our kids are getting older, we really desire for them (and pray for them) that they do not fall prey to the consumerism and commercialism of this most holy holiday and believe that it's all about what cool gifts they can get.  It's Jesus' birthday after all so shouldn't we "give" to Him by following his teaching....

Luke 12:33
Sell your possessions and give to the poor.  Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

And should we not also remember the words of the wise man Solomon...

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.


What about you?  Does your family have any cool tradition of giving to those around you during Christmas?  I challenge you to read Ann's blog and think of something you can do this year to make a difference in the life of a child or family who doesn't have as much as you!  I'm excited for our family and for hopefully helping our children's (and our own of course) eyes be opened to a world around us that is in need. 


1 comment:

Brandon and Jamie said...

hey! thanks for this wonderful reminder. we started a tradition last year where we bring old coats/clothes (mostly my husbands) downtown to the homeless, and give it to them with homemade cookies--- they LOVE something that is made in a home!!! I am trying to think of how how to do more so please share if you come up with something!!

i just read this story, it gives a neat perspective-
http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/chr_vik/richestfamily.html